Thursday, May 27, 2010

Present, not perfect


I had a very good friend once share with me recently that she realized she didn't have to be the perfect mom, just a present one. What a fantastic way to think about being a parent. How often do we get hung up on being the perfect parent. We as parents too often don't cut ourselves enough slack in raising kids. It isn't like they come with instructions. We don't spend years studying the art of raising children. It is trial and error. In my case, more errors than I'd like. But if in the process I'm willing to be there for my kids, to admit I messed up, and I still raise productive, good, God fearing adults, than I have done alright.
I will never be perfect, but I will always be present.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to share. We all need the reminder every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Very well said! A present parent is the best to be. I am trying to be a sounding board to a Bestie that is troubled with her now Freshman, she was in tears telling me of the current drama unfolding. Her daughter is demanding she be "cool" like the other friends Mom, and do as the daughter wants. I, having raised two daughters, told her she is on the right track & her job isnt to be a BFF but a parent. My daughters thanked me later for my hard work & my "presence". I will share your Blog wisdom with her! Thank you Mary!

    ReplyDelete