Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pig taggin

Today was the day to take in 4H barrows. Wasn't great that the weather was cold and rainy. I don't like moving pigs when the weather is like this, gets them stressed, which weakens their immune system. I had mentioned that to Elizabeth, she said "yeah, but at least our trailer is closed in, you know there will be people that will bring them in open trailers." She was right, we pull up in line and there beside us is an open trailer, with half a dozen COLD sad looking pigs. I guess I don't get it, I don't understand why someone can drive a new pickup, but they can't go to Walmart and get a $15 tarp to close that trailer in some?? Elizabeth asked me if we could adopt the pigs, I said I wish we could, felt bad for them.
We can't outspend everyone when it comes to buying showpigs, not with as many as we buy, but we can outwork a lot of them, and in my mind that is the hardest part. It is easy for some to write a check without thinking, then put those pigs in front of a self feeder and not work with them at all. Their missing out when they do that. Pigs are such cool animals, we have a couple that will come to the gate when we get in the barn, and want to be scratched. Nice thing is they are gilts and will be around for a long time.
The little things make a big difference, it's why my kids don't play softball or baseball, they show during the summer. We often get our butts kicked at open shows because our pigs aren't ready, the idea is to have them ready in July, not June. Jackpot pigs are older, making them more competitive. But we go for a couple of reasons, 1. we get everything around for the showbox so getting ready for fair is easier 2. the kids get in show mode 3. pigs get on and off the trailer 4. we get some comments that we might be able to use to improve our projects 5. keeps the kids grounded, they have done well at fair, but they also know what it is like to get the gate 6. most important, time spent with friends and family.
The friends we have made since my kids have been in 4H, have been priceless.

2 comments:

  1. you might want to expain what a gilt and a barrow are and why you have to take them to the fair before the fair. I only know now because of the experience I have had with you and the kids. This city girl would have thought you meant wheelbarrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Will clarify with a post about farm terms and post some pictures. Pigs were a mess today so I didn't.

    ReplyDelete