Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Free lunch

Went to work today with a good attitude even though it is almost the end of the year and kids are WILD. Was met with the question, "Did you tell a kid that had been given an alternate lunch, they should pack their lunch?" I had said no such thing. Evidently a parent had emailed the school, upset that their child had been told they owe lunch money and the "nasty" lunch lady said they should pack their lunch. Wrong again.
It is the one thing I can't stand about my job. Watching kids come in, looking at the hot lunch, and then I get to hand them an alternate lunch, usually not nearly as appealing as the hot lunch. What I'd like to do to parents the ones that are habitually late, is take the family out to eat, say order whatever you want off the menu, and then when the food arrives, hand mom and dad an alternate lunch. I am not the one that put them into that situation, but I get to watch the fallout. It is likely these same parents don't go into McDonalds and ask to be fed free, why is school any different?
Now I know there isn't a lot of respect given to lunch ladies, not sure why really. We call it "white pant syndrome", is it that(I don't wear white pans btw)? Or lack of a college education? It comes from all sides, parents, teachers, tv, world in general. Is there something wrong with feeding kids???
I really like my job. The cooking part isn't my favorite, but when I get to be, (yes, GET TO) out in the dining room I'd like to think that for most kids, I make their day a little better. I know if it weren't for breakfast, and lunch a few of these kids don't eat. I know that a hug or a positive word from me, may be the only ones they get that day. Before I got this job, the first day of school was my least favorite of the whole year, and the last day my favorite. Last day of school is bittersweet for me now, means I get time with MY kids, but also means I will not get to see my school kids, some I may never get to see again. The greatest indicator of how well I do my job, is walking in Walmart, and seeing a kid run towards me arms open wide, jump into my arms and give me a bear hug. I'd take those anyday....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I found you through my friend Mark (A Pirate Looks @ 50). I was "Blessed" to be a "Lunch Room Lady" for 3 years as well as "After School Day Care Jan" for 4 yrs, while my girls were in elelmentary school. Our school situation was different. A Catholic grade School, that started a new Hot Lunch program when we renevated the old kitchen. We were an experiment that went very well. I LOVED IT! Our Kitchen was in the Basement next to the Music room, We would Belt out songs from the radio & sing "the kids" songs too. We di not have a Cafeteria, but had a great system where assigned kids get to come to us and get "laundry baskets" packed with the hot lunches in disposible containers. The food was great & the kids loved it. I worked with three other Moms & we felt so blessed to be there. Kids were always visiting us & we always "gave" extra food. my daughters were proud rather than embarassed that the silliset Lunch Room Lady was their Mom. I worn a Ruth Buzy Hairnet low like she did, & always made everyone laugh. I also got to enjoy all the kids in Day Care and made it "the Cool place" to be. We had a blast... almost every day. When I told people what I did, I got the looks, the "oh... I see". Sometimes it bugged me, but knowing I touched so many kids (& they still remember me) and perhaps made their days brighter was what it was all about. Oh, and the "Alternative lunches?" Thats too bad, we were lucky enough to have plenty for all. My Sup was very good w/ expenses & the lunches were cheap. Cheap enough to have free extras always. :)
    Good "meeting" you. Look forward to reading your Blog!
    Jan from JustBreatheJanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, it is nice to meet you, I have enjoyed reading your blog to, and it is great to meet a fellow lunch lady. I really do love my job, and I know that I am doing a good job when they see me out in public and come to talk to me or even better hug me! :-)
    Since we are a public school, things are a little different in what we can and can't do in regards to lunch. We carry a fair amount in negative balances before we have to take the next step. Which is NO fun. With getting commodities from the gov. We have to be accountable for everything, and answer to the state.
    I confess that I don't know all the ins and outs and regulations, but they seem pretty strict.
    Sounds like you guys had a great thing going. I hope I didn't paint a negative picture of what we do, that was not my intention. Just a frustrating day towards the end of the school year where we are trying to get parents to clean up overdue accounts.
    An alternate lunch is a pbj and a milk so not too bad, but not say, homemade lasagna, or pizza. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didnt paint a negative picture at all. I know how Blessed we were. In fact, I left at the same time our Principal did as I knew with the new Princ. new changes that I would not agree with. And sadly, she changed some of the wonderful things we did going w/ more of the gov. reg funding stuff. I had more fun working with a couple of the best gals. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to be close to my girls, and enjoy the other kids as well. : )

    ReplyDelete