Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cream and Crimson

I'm sitting here, listening to the kids argue in the living room. Thinking about the changes that will take place here over the next several months. Mike will leave high school, and start the next phase in his life, more school. This time on his own. Doesn't seem possible that 18 years have gone by so quickly.
He is trading one set of school colors, for another. Same colors, but much larger stage. The excitement I see in him is enviable. The opportunity he has been given is huge. I tell him over and over not to mess it up, he tells me over and over I know mom. But it's my job, and if my saying it over and over will help it sink in, then I'll take the eye rolls and the "I know mom!"
I didn't get the chance he has, and that is ok with me now. If I had, my life would have likely been very different than it is now. I can't imagine not being where I am now, arguing kids and all.
Kids have moved away from the tv, and the arguing to riding bikes together outside. Nope, wouldn't change a thing.

2 comments:

  1. Is Mike your Oldest? Both my daughters are in College now. (they too "kept" the same school colors~ weird). I am lucky, both my daughters are at the same college and it is fairly (an hour) from us. My youngest is now a Sophomore & the oldest a Senior @ Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. the transistions went well. they are living the dream! My husband and I didnt get this opportunity either, we went, but only for a year instead of getting to go 4 and graduate. Maybe that is why we are so determined to give our girls this opportunity and watch them soar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mike is my oldest, he is headed to IU Bloomington this fall. He has a couple friends headed to Ball State, he had applied their but felt IU had a better poli sci major, also will follow up with law school I think. I just wish it were a little closer to home, won't be able to get him over a weekend very easy.
    I think he is really going to love it there. Time will tell....

    ReplyDelete