Friday, July 9, 2010

Rites of passage

I have watched two rites of passage this week, with my two oldest. We took Mike to IU Bloomington, for new student orientation, and Elizabeth passed the test for her learners permit. Both signs that my kids are moving towards adulthood. For someone that has looked forward to the last day of school every school year and dreaded the first day, it isn't an easy time for me. Summers are my favorite time of year, I have my kids at home all the time. It isn't always easy, we have our share of fights and arguments, but the good times are worth it.
Mike will move into Wright Hall on August 22. After the visit, I know this is the place for him. I knew it last October when I watched him fall in love with the campus at a IU football game. He will do well here, there will be bumps, but he will get through them without me. Things will be different, with him and with Elizabeth. She is headed towards more freedom, once she gets her license, things will change for us again. I know it is what we are supposed to see happen with our kids, to watch them progress and grow and become independent, would be nice if it wasn't so hard after all it means we were successful parents. We have done our job well when they get out on their own and the fly. Maybe by the time it gets to be Matt's turn in these things, I'll have it down pat....but I doubt it.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. You gave me smiles & goosebumps remmeber the same feelings when my girls went through getting their lcsense as well as the moment my daughters fell in love with their college. IT sounds as though you are wonderful parents. My prayers as your childern go into these new phases of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom and Janis. I don't always feel that I have anything important to say, just try to say what is on my heart and in my mind. Glad you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope it won’t get easier it is not suppose to. I have one going down the isle in five weeks she moved out over four years ago still hurts. Hank will go in 11 months gonna hurt. And in 4 years we will be empty nesters gonna hurt again but we did our job unlike so many other so called parents.

    Gotta say though Jake is my count down to leaving cold weather behind! Only bright spot I got on this topic warmer permanent location soon.

    ReplyDelete